While one can apply before Ombudsman for any complaint against bank, complaint will not be considered by the banking ombudsman if:
- One has not approached his bank for redressal of his grievance first.
- One has not made the complaint within one year from the date one has received the reply of the bank or if no reply is received if it is more than one year and one month from the date of representation to the bank.
- The subject matter of the complaint is pending for disposal / has already been dealt with at any other forum like court of law, consumer court etc.
- Frivolous or vexatious.
- The institution complained against is not covered under the scheme.
- The subject matter of the complaint is not within the ambit of the Banking Ombudsman.
- If the complaint is for the same subject matter that was settled through the office of the Banking Ombudsman in any previous proceedings.